If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.

~ Lewis Caroll

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Workday Blues

Do you ever just dread going to work? I know that's a stupid question--of course we all do at some point. I was so thrilled to be offered this opportunity, and I've only been working my current job since April, but I'm starting to lose some of my enthusiasm. It worries me that I'll never be fully satisfied with a job or career. Maybe because I never realized what I want to be "when I grow up." I think that's a fairly depressing thought to never decide on a dream. What do I strive for? I'm completely undecided. I'll be starting a second job, part-time with practically no pay, in September. It's with this job that I hope to realize something about myself and what direction my life may take. Perhaps I will love it and take off in that direction. Perhaps it will be just as unsatisfying as the other jobs I've had. I have inner goals and hobbies and loves, but it's difficult to create a career out of them. I want to work to live! I think that a life absorbed in corporate America isn't really living. Yet, I want to be successful and financially secure. It's a conundrum to say the least. Woe is me. My boyfriend tells me that nobody is in love with their job and it's just the way the world is. I have to strongly disagree! Someone out their is doing what they love and is eager to get up in the morning and go do it. Who are you? What are you doing? How can I find what I'm meant to be?! Well, it's back to the trenches for now.

1 comment:

  1. So, I am not that person who is answering your "who are you?" and "what are you doing?" questions. In fact, I am standing beside you asking the same thing. I maintain a firm belief that there are people who genuinely love their jobs and find them fulfilling, but so far I am not one of them. It's scary as hell to find yourself in this funk (as I like to call it). Maybe we should start a business together. On a serious note, I have decided to start a website called Gabby Gumbo. I will email you the details later, but would love your input in it.

    We will keep dreaming together until we can figure it all out! ;-)

    Btw, I have given in and joined Twitter. I am following you so make sure you follow me...I will now have two followers! HA!!

    ReplyDelete