If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.

~ Lewis Caroll

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Favorite Traditions . . .






Tomorrow I will partake of my favorite holiday tradition! Let me rephrase that, ONE of my favorite holiday traditions. I don't think I could possibly choose.

Momma is making the drive up tomorrow through the cold and sleet (the cold has already arrived and the sleet is on its way) to visit me in Nashville for the weekend. I'm mostly excited because it means I don't have to drive, but also because I love having her come spend a little time in "my world." I hope to be a perfect hostess, so I'm going to buy a pack of Diet Coke on my lunch break. I'm even scrubbing the tub and (gasp!) mopping tonight after work. Matthew will be away on a boys-only excursion this weekend, so it will be just the girls. Momma and I have a jam packed weekend that will hopefully result in some fabulous photos for me to post in my next blog entry.

As for the tradition . . . NUTCRACKER time! I fell in love with this ballet as a little girl and a little ballerina. I've never tired of seeing the story danced on stage by the talented dancers over the years. I admire the effort it takes to put on such a spectacular show. There is just something magical about the performance. While I love all ballet, this one in particular holds a special place. It is the quintessential holiday experience. This will be my first time to see the Nashville Ballet perform and my first time to see a show at the Tennesseee Performing Arts Center (TPAC). I'm quite excited to take my mother to our annual mother-daughter outing. The performance is at 7 p.m., so I'm looking for a great place to go afterward for a light bite and maybe a cocktail. But we can't stay out too late because Saturday will be spent . . .

DRESS SHOPPING! Wedding dress shopping, that is. Once again (and hopefully for the last time), I will be donning white gowns (and ivory, diamond white, white with ivory overlay, etc.). This time we'll remember to take some pictures. I can't believe I have zero pictures of me in a wedding dress. Especially since they all look fabulous (hey, it's my wedding, I can be a little vain). We have three appointments throughout the day, and hopefully we'll be able to squeeze in a nice lunch somewhere. The last place is where I went a few weeks ago to try on dresses alone. I picked out half a dozen or more to try on again when Momma is here to see them. I think "the dress" may be among them, but I'm going to look at the other two stores first. Matthew and I decided to have as casual a wedding as possible, but keep it classic. However, all the dresses I love are a little fancier than I originally had hoped to purchase. However, I've been told that it's our wedding and we can wear what we want, regardless of the rest of the theme/style/tone. I hope that's true and nobody will gossip negatively behind my back. I'm sure they will, but once again--it's my wedding! I think the wedding dress should stand on its own and not cater to the whims of the rest of the decorations. It will all come together beautifully! If we can only pick a venue!

So that's my weekend. A tradition and a once-in-a-lifetime shopping trip. I can't think of a better way to spend time with the greatest mother in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment