If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.

~ Lewis Caroll

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Once in a Lifetime

As previously posted, I had a day of wedding dress shopping this past Saturday. It began well enough, but I quickly became discouraged at the first couple of shops. I didn't like anything they brought me to try on. Nothing was "the one" and I began to think that maybe "the one" is an 'old bride's tale.' I mean, will I really feel special when I put on a certain dress? Can I not imagine getting married in anything else but this special dress? I truly thought I would have to settle for an ok only wedding gown. However, I still had one place left to shop. I had been there previously on my own and loved everything I tried on. If I had to buy a dress, it would probably come from this one store. We ventured to our last destination of the day.


I worked with the same bridal consultant as before (p.s. Pam, you're fabulous!). We pulled the "yes" dresses from my last visit so my mom could see them, and I also walked around pointing out other dresses I'd like to try on. They once again had a trunk show, so I looked through the brand-new, never-tried-on dresses. One in particular caught my eye. It was the most beautiful dress I've ever seen. I pointed it to Momma, and told her even though it wasn't remotely close to the style I was looking for that I thought I wanted to try it on. She just smiled and told me I would probably fall in love with it.


As usual, Momma was right. The instant I put it on, it just felt right. It fit like a glove and made me feel like the most beautiful, perfect bride in the whole world! All of the cheezy cliches can be applied to that moment. It's not at all the style I thought I wanted. But it's not too "bridey" either. It has so many unique elements that I've never seen before on a wedding dress. I was the first person to try it on, and am the only person in Tennessee to own that dress. The price was even under my maximum budget. Who could ask for more? I'm so glad my mother loves it as much as I do. She can't imagine me in another dress, so I know it's the right choice. I'm positive I'll feel the same way about it in eight months.


I know it's just a dress, but I really feel that it represents so much more. When you feel this good about something, it's got to mean you've made the right choice. That applies to the person you've chosen and been chosen by.


I want to post a picture of the dress, but I can't in case Matthew remembers that I have this blog and chooses to look at it. But, I'll post a picture of the hairpiece I've picked out. It's handmade with Swarovski crytals and the flower mimics the detail on my dress. Think of it as a little sneak peek. If you are truly curious, I have tons of pictures of the dress that I look at daily until my dress comes in.


After the wedding, I'll probably wear my dress to clean the house, shop for groceries, etc. I'm determined to find some occasion that I can re-wear the fabulousness that is "the dress!"

2 comments:

  1. Maybe for Grace's 3rd birthday we can have a "Princess Party" and you can come as the Princess. Little girls would love it and you'd get to wear your dress again! Haha...I really do know someone who did that once and I thought it was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O Lace-I am so happy for you I can't stand it!! I want to see you in your dress as soon as it comes in!

    ReplyDelete