If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.

~ Lewis Caroll

Monday, March 22, 2010

What Being a Grownup Feels Like

I finally feel like a true grownup. I am entering the world of home ownership, and it's scary as hell.

But it's also really satisfying.

I, with my own money and my own credit score, am filling out mortgage applications, taking a "first time home buyer" class, saving for an inspection, and have my very own real estate power team (I being the least powerful member). Because of all the preparation, I'm learning so much about how finance works. No wonder our country is in such a mess! This stuff isn't for the faint of heart or pocketbook. Yet, somehow, I am eligible to enter this world. And I think it rocks!

I know that I am on the verge of adulthood, because closet space and waterproofed foundations are more important than a "super cute" something or other. Although I do want something to be super cute. Who doesn't?

I'm in love with the Craftsman style bungalows and cottages. Nashville is full of remodeled older homes that have fabulous character and leave plenty of room for personalization. I'm not scared to paint or yank up carpet--bring on the DIY.

Tomorrow I'm going to start physically looking at and in the houses I've picked with my realtor. Hopefully one will call my name and say, "I'm your home! Please close on my before the end of April, so you will get your $8,000!" Or something like that.

I'll keep everyone abreast of my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment