If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.

~ Lewis Caroll

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Back on Track

This is my first attempt at blogging. I always have random thoughts, rants, or raves that I usually keep to myself, or dole out to whoever happens to be with me at the time. Now I can write it here for all (or a few) to read.

I finally hit a milestone in my “career” yesterday. I say that in quotes because I hardly call my employment history a career. I guess it’s common for twenty-somethings to be indecisive and not have a life plan, but that was never how it was supposed to be. I just knew that once I went to college I’d somehow know what I was supposed to major in, who I was supposed to date, what direction my life would take . . . like hopping on a train and just riding to the end of the line. Of course my train derailed many times. I finished my B.A. (in English, no less) and discovered that my career choices were limited. I continued to waitress (something I’m surprisingly good). I thought about going to graduate school in Boston. A boy took precedence. I know that happens, but for anyone out there, don’t let it happen to you! It worked out because six years later we’re still together, but still you never quit thinking “what might have happened?” Anyway, I finally got a job in marketing where I minimally put to use the things I’d learned in college. After a while I was unhappy with my choices and went back to the same school to pursue my M.A. in, what else, English. After all, I can teach college with that! Who can beat the hours of a college instructor! So I worked full time and went to grad school until finally the big day, graduation, had come! I donned my cap and gown, quit my job and thought my train was back on track. I’ve never been more wrong.

I went through the best and worst year of my life. I remained unemployed because I had no experience teaching, and the rest of the job market was a wreck because of the economy. Slowly a year passed since I got my M.A., and I was resigned to the fact that I’d probably be a waitress again. I love waitressing and have complete respect for the food service industry, but it wasn’t what I wanted. It’s hard to have something so close and not be able to touch it. Finally, I got an interview for a technical writing job in Nashville. Needless to say, I took it. It’s a great company, and I enjoy the writing, but I never got over the blow of working so hard at something and not getting what I wanted from it. I started my new life in Nashville in April. A few weeks after I moved the greatest thing happened. I received an email from Nashville State Community College. They needed adjunct instructors for the fall term! I pretty much got the job through email, and then yesterday was officially hired! I have textbooks and a syllabus and two classes waiting for me in August. I’m researching teaching methods and composition 101 assignments online. I can’t begin to explain how elated I am! It’s only a small-paying gig (really just for the experience), but it’s not about the money. It’s about finally feeling like I’ve accomplished something I set out to do.

No matter how hard things are, they're totally worth it if you reach your goal. Maybe I’ll be a great teacher and finally have a career. Maybe I’ll hate it and have to start from square one. Either way, I’m proud to say I did it. And as backup I’ve already applied to grad school at UT for the Library & Information Sciences program. Hey, being a librarian might be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment