If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.

~ Lewis Caroll

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

No New is Good News?

After a couple weeks of the Michael Jackson media takeover, I started to miss the real news. Don’t get me wrong, I love MJ as much as the next. I played his records on the turntable in tribute while I cleaned my apartment. However, full-time media coverage shouldn’t preempt everything else happening in the world. I even missed the fluff pieces that the Today show regularly intermixes with hard hitting news stories. However, now that the news is back on track, I’m wondering if I wasn’t happier with a one-track newsreel. The murder of those parents of sixteen children, soldiers dying in the war, airplane crashes . . . it’s all so disheartening. Yet, it’s the way the world works. Bad things happen every day and ignoring them doesn’t make them impact you less, it just leaves you less prepared for when something hits too close to home. So that said, “no news is good news” simply isn’t true. We have to take the good with the bad. Every once in a while something inspirational will slip through to the front page.

No comments:

Post a Comment