If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.

~ Lewis Caroll

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Life in Higher Ed

Tonight I teach my first college class. It's what I've been trying to do since I received my M.A. last spring. My whole career path hinges on whether or not I even like teaching English. If I don't, then I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. Well, that's not true . . . Vanna White has to retire one day, and she has my dream job. See how it's related--all about letters. My current job is enjoyable, but it's not long-term. There is no advancement, and my butt will get enormous if I spend thirty more years sitting at a desk behind a computer. I think I'm getting carpal tunnel, too.

My class is small tonight, only ten students. This seems like a good way to start off. They should be more comfortable with that size and do more talking. I sure don't want to spend three hours hearing myself talk about critical reading and thinking. Ugh. My plan is to be easy-going but not to let them take over. I've had teachers like that and things just get unorganized and out of control. So I've got rules, but hey, we're grownups, if you have to pee you have to pee--don't raise your hand and ask.

I think I'm so excited about this because I love school! I think it's the greatest. That makes me weird, but we're all weird in some way. I never planned on teaching (which is what everyone always told me I would do). I feel I'm giving in to the negative thoughts of a certain JSU freshman counselor who told me I'd never amount to anything with an English degree. But teaching college composition somehow seems important since everyone has to write something at some point in their job. As for that counselor, I think I'll write her a letter when I'm successful in some aspect of my life and tell her where she can put her advice.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. you must email me and tell me about your teaching gig-I want to know how it went!

    ReplyDelete