If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.

~ Lewis Caroll

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Spooky Factor


You can feel it in the air . . . halloween is almost upon us! While many look forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas, I am anxiously awaiting the first holiday of the season, Halloween!When I left the house for work this morning, it was just the right temperature for my jeans and cardigan. The leaves are beginning to change colors, and you can almost smell them burning after being laboriously raked into piles. Scarves are coming out of closets in a multitude of colors and patterns, the perfect accessory on a brisk evening out.

Ahh . . . I'm itching to take my carving knife to a pumpkin and create that seasonal masterpiece!

Luckily, spiders have flocked to my patio like an arachnid Miami, so I have instant spooky ambiance. I've snipped recipes for spooky sweets and cooky cocktails. I'm ready for scary movies and freaking myself out accidentally on purpose. The dilemma for Halloween 2009 is what I'm going to do on actual Halloween night.

For the past two years, my friends and I have hosted a Halloween bash. It's debatable whether or not it's a good time had by all, but it's definitley interesting! Unfortunately this year there will be no annual Hallowfun. I'm unsure of my options. Julie will be celebrating at Degaween (or Hallowdega), and her house is the usual site for the party. I have no idea what any of my other friends are doing. I could host a fa'boo' party (hehe), but my 700 square foot apartment may object. I've tried to look up events via the internet, but nobody seems to be in the spirit! What is wrong with Nashville!? Nevertheless, I'm holding out hope that something spooktacular (hehe again) will develop. My evening will be spent in costume with my friends somewhere doing someting totally ridiculous and immature. I do believe that's what Halloween is all about.

Now for the costume--the pinnacle of Halloween frivolity. I'm debating between two main alter egos: the tooth fairy or Sookie Stackhouse. Sookie is an easy look to put together; I simply need a blonde wig and a Merlotte's tshirt (available at hbo.com). The tooth fairy requires more detail, which I have access to thanks to my mommy (yes I'm 27, but she's still my mommy). I recently decided I could be an evil tooth fairy! But still sexy. I could get several sets of fake halloween teeth and dip them in costume blood (leftover thanks to my very bloody vampire of 2008) and tote them around in my tooth fairy bag. This look also entails some awesome fairy wings (which are a fire hazard--lesson learned from the lady bug of 2007). My sluttiness factor dipped last year (even though my dress was super short and I had on kick ass stilletos). I pulled a Lindsey Lohan in Mean Girls. This year I'm determined to find a costume that fits all of my requirements. A trip to the Halloween store in the near future will undoubtedly prove worthwhile.

I hope you all find time in your busy October to take the time to carve a pumpkin, hang a Frankie (wink, wink Allison), or simply go "boo!" Remember it's the one day of the year where you can pretend to be something you aren't and nobody can give you crap for it. It's a shame to waste that kind of freedom.

BOOOOO!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. So...maybe you can read my comment-COME HERE FOR HALLOWEEN-Nate will be at Dega with Jewels-I'm not having a party at my house, but we can crash the one Crystal is going to:)
    I think Nate & I are going to be a pilot & stewardess for my work Halloween party-what do you think?

    ReplyDelete