If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there.

~ Lewis Caroll

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

One Year Challenge

As a huge fan of food, I was intrigued when the movie Julie & Julia came out in theaters. I discovered that the film is based on Julie Powell's book of the same name, which was written as a result of her blogging experience. If you don't know, Julie Powell was feeling lost and unfocused in life (as we all have experienced) and took on the project of cooking all of the recipes in a Julia Child's cookbook (a very daunting task) in one year, and she blogged about it. Obviously the blog was a huge hit since fame and fortune ensued.

I chose not to watch the movie, but instead I bought the book. It's wonderfully written. Julie is very candid and opens herself up to her readers. The book is really funny at times, too. Aside from enjoying a good read, I got to thinking about her plan--cooking over five hundred authentic French recipes in 365 days in a walk up in NYC--and what I could challenge myself to do. What could any of us challenge ourselves to do?

It seems silly to come up with something just because it seems like a good idea. I'm waiting for something to inspire me--something like that cookbook. My friend, A.P., thinks I should write a book. This idea is always in the back of my mind, but I'm not sure I have enough motivation to complete this within twelve months. I could become a fitness buff, but I don't think my aforementioned love of food would allow for great success. I could travel to all the exotic and not-so-exotic places on my lifetime travel wishlist within a year, but I do believe that costs money.

For now it's just food for thought. If anyone out there is undergoing a personal adventure I wish you the best of luck!

1 comment:

  1. LACEY!!!! ok 1st I am SO EXCITED I just got mentioned in your blog-I feel famous for some silly reason, but thanks! You know I am your #1 fan! (& u should write a damn book! Start it NOW please:)
    2nd-I just finished Julie Powell's book! (how crazy is that-cause you know how much I always said I HATED to read & now I am a lonatic book reading fool)
    I loved the book too!!! I completely thought of you like a million times when I was reading it!
    3rd-Keep blogging, cause I am loving it!-I even have some friends at work reading it-they don't know you (even though I talk about you all the time)but they like reading it over my shoulder :)

    ReplyDelete